Where To Find Rent Assistance for Single Moms

As a single mother, you aren’t just the sole caretaker for your children. You’re also the sole earner for your household. As a result, it can be hard to meet all your financial needs. The challenging economic times can cause housing problems for many families, especially single mothers, so rent assistance for single moms is crucial.

Of course, any changes to your finances can make it hard to find affordable housing, even in a great economy. That being said, we’ve put together a list of options when it comes to rent assistance for single moms.

Programs offering rent assistance for single moms

Below is a list of some programs offering rent assistance for single mothers. Most require proof that your income is below a certain level as well as other circumstances that mean you qualify for these resources. 

Public housing agencies (PHAs)

The public housing agencies, or PHAs, in your area are a good resource to begin searching for rent assistance for single moms. They manage programs like the public housing program and the housing voucher program.

The public housing program

The Department of Housing and Urban Development offers the public housing program. This program helps provide safe rental housing for low-income families. In order to qualify for this program, you must be a low-income family, elderly person, or have a disability.

Income limits apply, and those limits vary by location, so you may qualify for public housing in some areas but not in all areas.

Nearly one million households across the U.S. live in public housing units , managed by about 3,300 different public housing authorities. To apply, start by visiting the HUD’s website to find your local public housing agency (PHA).

Housing choice voucher program (Section 8)

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program is another HUD program for low-income families. This program doesn’t provide actual housing as the public housing program does. Instead, it gives out vouchers to help low-income families rent units in private housing.

Locally, housing choice vouchers are administered by public housing agencies (PHAs). The PHAs receive federal money from HUD to provide this rent assistance for single moms and other low-income renters.

The family is responsible for finding housing where the owner agrees to the rent under the program. The landlord’s payments come directly from the public housing agency on the renter’s behalf; then, the family pays the difference between the rent charged and the program’s reduced amount. Contact your nearest HUD office to apply. This process may have a long wait time, however.

Subsidized housing

The federal government has a HUD program for subsidized housing. This program gives property owners money to motivate them to offer low-rent apartments. This program allows renters to apply directly with the landlord or property manager. The property manager will then disclose income limits for each unit.

Also, property owners can force other requirements. Use the HUD affordable housing locator to find privately-owned subsidized rentals near you.

USDA rental assistance

The U.S. Department of Agriculture offers various programs to help families find affordable homes in rural areas. A rural area is housing that is located outside of urban areas. These programs help low-income tenants who can’t pay their full rent. They help by providing payments to the property owners on the renter’s behalf.

To be eligible for these programs, you must be a low or very-low-income tenant in a rural area. This is a great option for single moms looking for a home in the country. You can use the USDA website to find affordable rural rentals in your area.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Another federal program that may provide housing assistance is Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF. States receive grant money for low-income families with children, and with flexibility around how it’s used, it could go towards helping single moms afford rent, among other household costs.

Find out about TANF in your state to see whether you qualify for monthly cash assistance. 

State agency programs offering rent assistance for single moms

Just like the federal government, each state has a housing agency. Many states have rental assistance programs to help low-income families with housing costs. For more information, contact your state’s housing agency or authority.

Salvation Army

The Salvation Army provides a variety of programs to help individuals in need. Their services include:

Homeless shelters for those without a place to stay

Transitional housing for those recently evicted

Housing for those dealing with a domestic breakup, or any other housing crisis

Permanent supportive housing for elderly and low-income individuals

For more information, visit the Salvation Army website.

Catholic Charities

Catholic Charities USA offers affordable housing programs to vulnerable residents. They do this by providing emergency shelter or transitional housing, as well as long-term help to those in need. This includes rent assistance for single moms.

CCUSA currently has more than 35,000 permanent housing units around the country. 1,200 new units are being built to help aid more families. To find Catholic Charities services near you, visit the CCUSA website.


CoAbode is an organization designed to help single mothers connect and create a community. Their mission is to help two single mothers share a home and raise their children together. As a result, both mothers benefit from a reduction in housing expenses of about 40%.

Just imagine the additional benefits of having another mom around to share the load and possibly even connect on a personal level. Mothers also carpool to increase social interaction in the community. You can visit CoAbode’s website to learn more about their programs.

Local non-profit organizations offer rent assistance to single moms

Nationwide, non-profit organizations work to help people improve their lives in their communities. These organizations provide housing solutions such as transitional housing or financial assistance to help low-income individuals. Simply search for non-profit organizations in your city, county, or state to learn more. Area churches may also be a good place to begin.

Expert tip: Look into support from local and government organizations

Housing for single moms represents one of your largest expenses, and it can be scary as you worry about your children’s safety. Don’t be afraid to look into all of the government and local organizations offering resources to help you navigate single parenthood.

As a single mom, there’s likely nothing you wouldn’t do to provide a healthy environment for your kids. Use the resources available to you to make it easier to find rent assistance for single moms or other housing assistance. 

Other resources to leverage as a single mom

In addition to programs that specifically provide housing for single moms, you can also utilize programs that help in other areas. Affording nutritious food and safe childcare can be difficult on one income, so check if you qualify for assistance programs like WIC and SNAP. 

Women, Infants, and Children’s Program (WIC)

Women, Infants, and Children’s Program, or WIC, provides food assistance and guidance. While pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum, as well as up until age five for your children, you may qualify for WIC. Get food and health care referrals as well as nutritional counseling and education through this program.  

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

You might know this federally funded program as food stamps, but it’s officially the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). If you’re a single mom on a low income, you may qualify for SNAP benefits, which are funds loaded onto an EBT card for grocery shopping. Income limits and money in the bank are factors in whether you’re eligible. 

Human Services Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)

Not only is housing for single moms often a financial struggle, child care costs can absorb a huge chunk of your monthly income. Applying for the Child Care Assistance Program within your state may help cover much of the cost of daycare and supplemental childcare. 

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

On top of housing for single moms, you’ve got to pay bills for utilities. The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) offers federal funds to help families afford energy bills. Stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter by accessing these resources. 

Learn more about money as a single mom

Being a single mom might not leave you with much free time as the breadwinner for your household, but there are ways to improve your financial literacy. If you don’t feel quite prepared financially, you are capable of learning and becoming more savvy about money. 

Take financial courses

Did you know that Clever Girl Finance offers over a dozen free online financial courses? Learn about organizing your finances, budgeting, building your credit, investing, and more with our resources. And of course, you can also browse hundreds of blog articles to help you optimize your financial life.

Read financial books

You can find a number of other ways of gaining financial knowledge. Your local library may hold free educational events on topics like budgeting and debt, for example. While we’re on that subject, if you haven’t used your public library, it’s a wealth of resources like financial literacy books

Find ways to increase your income

While you’re in the trenches of trying to find housing for single moms, as well as feed and care for your kids, it may be easy to ignore your future. But even if your income isn’t where you want it to be, it doesn’t need to stay that way. 

Acquire new skills

Try ways of boosting your income, like taking online courses to train for a new career, or starting a profitable side hustle. These skills can provide you with the tools to successfully earn additional income.

Find side jobs

There are several jobs for moms without a degree and jobs for stay-at-home moms to consider.

If you can’t find a ton of time to pursue extra income, see if you can swap childcare with a mom friend. That might gain you a few hours for a weekend side job if you can find someone you trust with your kids. 

How can I afford to live on my own as a single mom?

Signing up for public housing or rent assistance for single moms through governmental and local organizations can make your ability to afford living on your own feasible as a single mom. In addition to housing assistance, you may be eligible for resources that help single moms afford childcare and nutritious food. 

What is the best place for single moms to live?

The question of where to live as a single mom depends on a lot of different factors. You’ll need to do some research on the resources and programs available to you based on your income, assets, family size, and other qualifications. Inquire with both government and non-profit organizations to find out what options you have, of course keeping your children’s safety top of mind.

Related articles for single moms

If you have found this article on rent assistance for single moms helpful, check out this other related content:

Where To Find Rent Assistance For Single MomsKey Resources And Money Tips For Low-Income FamiliesHow To Live Without A Job Until You Get A New One: 5 Tips8 Ways To Create A Winning Single Mom BudgetHow To Afford Being A Stay At Home Mom

Leveraging rent assistance for single mothers can help ease financial troubles

Raising children on your own brings its own unique financial challenges, among other single mom struggles. Luckily, there are plenty of organizations offering rent assistance for single moms, which can make it easier to survive financially

If you are currently facing housing concerns, start exploring these programs to find an affordable housing solution. Above all, keeping your family safe is most important. P.S. Here are some tips on how to create a single mom budget.

The post Where To Find Rent Assistance for Single Moms appeared first on Clever Girl Finance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *